Often, when traveling, we think of our hotel as a place to drop your bag and a place to return to, exhausted, after a full day of activity. But, sometimes, the hotel IS the destination. There are hotels all over the world that offer such a unique environment that you may find yourself never leaving the premises! Here are three to get you thinking.
- Viceroy Hotel, Bali – Located above the Petanu River gorge, you’ll find a series of 25 villas with thatched roofs rather than a traditional hotel building. Each villa offers seclusion as well as space – the smallest villa is just over 1600 sq. ft. And, if the hotel’s stunning infinity pool isn’t enough, don’t worry, your villa will have its own private, heated pool. Your pool overlooks the Valley of the Kings – Balinese royalty once made their home in the river gorge. For your convenience, there is a helipad available for guests. Enjoy fusion (French-Asian) cuisine the hotel’s restaurant or make use of the free chauffeur service and eat in nearby Ubud. Be sure to ask your driver for recommendations if you’re unsure. While the hotel accepts children, you might want to leave them with grandma for this trip. Rooms start at $550 per night.
- nhow Berlin, Berlin – Escape to the Europe’s first music hotel. Think pink. Yes, pink. The rooms are pink and I don’t just mean the walls. EVERYTHING is pink. The neon in the halls, the stage in the lobby bar, the room service that delivers electric guitars and amps and the closeness of MTV Berlin and Universal Music pretty much guarantee some “cool” will rub off on you during your stay. Rooms and an outdoor terrace overlook the Spree River. On weekends, you can enjoy live music. Rooms run from about $129-255 with discounts available from online booking services.
- Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur, CA – No televisions, no alarm clocks – just you and a luxurious way to enjoy the world around you. Rooms can feature cliff, ocean, and mountain views. Even better, you can choose from a luxury suite to a tree house to a private house. Included in your room rate are nature walks, a chef’s tour, yoga, pilates, tai chi, star gazing, use of the hotel’s Lexus vehicles and a gourmet breakfast each morning. If you are looking for a unique but totally California experience, this is the place for you!
With a little determination and persistence you can find unique hotel destinations to suit any taste or budget. The three mentioned here are just to whet your appetite.
If you are looking for more, here are a few to check into – each spectacular in their own way.
- Ice Hotel, Sweden (cold yes, but summer holds lots of fun as well)
- Ladera, in St. Lucia, provides the ultimate luxurious tropical vacation,
- Il Pellicano – explore Tuscany in style. Choose a room or villa at this time-tested resort. Experience the spa, the food, the sun and the pampering.
- Kirini – Mama Mia! If Greece is on your list of places to visit, this is the way to go. Gorgeous, spacious, white rooms with grand windows and views are just the beginning!
Happy dreaming and planning.